Sunday, March 13, 2011

Baths and Trailer Trips

We worked more on the 5th stall today. We used up the last of our boards, so we'll have to make a run back into town to get more wood. But it's coming along quite nicely!

While hubby was mowing the grass, I decided to give both horses baths. Not show clean baths, just you-haven't-had-a-bath-in-months bath. To try and get some of the ground in grit out. Afterwards, of course, both horses rolled. After hubby put the mower away, I mentioned to him that I'd given the horses baths. He looked at the horse (now, both covered in mud, again) and said, "Oh, you mean you ARE going to give them baths?" No, I already gave then baths!

During lunch, I contemplated my next move. I'd planned on taking Cotton for a solo trailer ride, but it's been so long since she went anywhere (and wasn't all that well behaved last time, either) Baby steps, that's the best training method. So, I decided to take Trouble with us.

The timing didn't go so smoothly. Hubby had invited a friend over to get manure for his garden, so I was rushed in getting the horses loaded up and out of the way. As a result, Cotton took longer to load (up to 20 sec, which still isn't bad, all things considered). We went for a 15 min circle of the neighborhood, came home and unloaded. I put Cotton back on the trailer again, and she happily went back on and back off. Then, I put both horses in the soggy pasture, talked to the manure man (who was very friendly). After he left, I got Cotton back out and gave her a thorough grooming (she is VERY fuzzy!) I put hay in the trailer this time, loaded her up alone, and we headed back out. No problems at all (and, with Cotton alone, I managed to hit all three traffic lights on green, no stopped trailer, no impatient horse!) I did see one woman who was out working on her fence, both times. The second time, she looked right at me, as if to say, "Didn't I just see that rig go by 30 min ago?" When we got home, Trouble was running her little head off, and was quite pleased to see her friend. I unloaded Cotton, popped her back on and off the trailer (Good horsey!), and then called it quits for the day. Planted more potatoes. Hopefully, no spotted critter will try to knock them over...

With the time change, we brought the horses in and feed them on the early side, but they seemed happy to go in and eat, after their "rough" day. No ducks showed up! We came inside to shower and work on dinner. Right at 530, old time, the ducks waddled through the pasture and up to the barn. Sorry, duckies, now you're late! We're already inside, no dinner tonight! Poor duckies!

Tomorrow's going to be a rainy day (no trailer trips). Tuesday is my last day of extracurricular spots (hooray!) So, on Wednesday, the plan is to take Cotton to my instructors (for another test trailer trip), unload, ride, load up, and come home, on Monday. If that goes well, we'll sign up for the trail competition next Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment