Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Travel Trial

I loaded Cotton up and without issue, we headed off to my instructor's for a "travel trial." We made it there without incident and unloaded. Cotton was very interested in the new surroundings and was checking out the scenery. I let her munch some grass for a bit, and then tied her to the trailer and set to work tacking up. Amusingly, she never tried pulling back, and barely complained about the girth tightening! Interesting... she's only girthy at home!

Then we headed over to the outdoor dressage arena. With mirrors! Cotton did check out her reflection, "Gee, I am a FUZZY horse!" but was unconcerned. We walked a few laps, both directions, and then did some of the slowest trotting that that farm has probably ever seen (instructor was not around to yell, FORWARD!) We have that problem all the time, now was not the time to address it - we were working on being good away from home. I wasn't going to ask for a canter - again, the plan was to do easy stuff in a new setting. But she was so good and the footing was so nice.... so I asked for it, and she gave! It seemed much easier in the groomed arena, much more so than the mud at home. Then we had to turn around and canter the other direction. Then called it quits. A good ride!

Untacking went well. I booted Cotton and then pointed her at the trailer. She put her front feet on and then paused. She checked out the view out the windows on the right, checked out the divider on the left, checked out the ceiling above, and then consented to get all the way on the trailer. (Is that the equine equivalent of crossing yourself?) The loading process took 20 sec. I'm still okay with that. The line between good and bad loading times is fuzzy. Ten min is too long, 20 sec is still in my "okay" range. For Cotton. Since Trouble gets on so easily, I'd give her a sharp word if she took 20 sec. So, it's all relative.

Anyway, she got back on, we made it home, unloaded, and then for good measure, loaded and unloaded again. I told Cotton what a good girl she was and then turned her back out.

We are now signed up for the ride on Saturday! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment